Wednesday, July 22, 2009

On The Road

Here I am in Shepherdsville, KY after a looonnnnnggggggg drive today. I am on my way to Dallas to spend a few days with my mother before she has to have her hip replacement on Mon. the 27th. I started out at 7 a.m. thinking I would be in Louisville by 3 or 4 p.m. Ha! I got about 10 miles down the road when a truck and trailer pulled out in front of me on route 6. That just happened to be a truck from the Kelly Miller Circus heading west in front of me and never going over 40 miles an hour on a 55 mph road. I followed it to Union City and didn't get to Erie (a 50-55 min. drive) until 8:40. I zipped thru Cleveland and headed south on 71 passing by Medina waving to my in laws, "hidee ho family" as I sped by. I stopped for a leg stretch and gas in Lodi. Hey gas is 2.35 a gallon in Ohio folks. Then as I drove south of Mansfield I passed a van on it's way south but what made this van special was that it had Zem Zem Warren County Hospital Transfer van. Our next door neighbor, Ron Christy, is a Zem Zem and has the little motorized car that he rides in parades. No, that wasn't him driving the van, but what a small world. Two hundred plus miles from home and I see a Warren County van. The next town I came to was Columbus, Ohio. What a hold up. I followed all the signs and ended up taking I 71 south which turned into 70 East. I wasn't on 70 East more than a few min. when I thought somehow I had done something wrong. I was heading East instead of South?????? What happened. Then I was on I 270 which I knew went around the town. I knew I was not where I was supposed to be so I exited the freeway, ended up in a detour on route 33 and in a neighbor gas station, staring at my maps. HMMMMM?????? I decided to go back the way I came and after about 15 min. I ended up doing a complete circle right back to the same gas station. I decided to make a right this time and try another direction with a prayer asking for guidance out of there. It was long before I found I 70 East again, which took me to 270 again, and I decided to stick it out because I knew I270 circles the city and it will end up intersecting I 71 south at some point. I thought it might take me all day to find it but I was determined. Actually, what really had happened was the roads had taken me on a detour originally and I should have just stayed on the freeway for another 2 miles and I would have seen the signs to Cincinnati. Good grief!!! Another hour wasted.

Finally I get to Cincinnati but did I say that I had been driving in rain, rain, and more rain since Akron? After I passed through Cincinnati, it wasn't 15 min later and I was in bumper to bumper standing still traffice for at least 45 min. 10 miles because of an accident way up ahead. HO HUM WHEN WILL THIS END???? I thought. I had another 100 miles to go before I reached Louisville and I counted every mile. I wanted to get to the southern part of Louisville before stopping and I sure was tempted to stop at several hotels but I pushed on. I'm finally here and not until 6pm. My legs were like rubber and it is still raining but I have a nice room, I've talked to all the family, my nightie is on, my tummy is full and now I can play on the computer til I can't sit in this chair anymore. Tomorrow... my destination goal is Little Rock. We'll see.
Oh, and wait til they see me in Dallas. I'm bringing home grown sweet corn, and homemade strawberry jam.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You had quite the adventure on your first travel day! Have you ever thought of using a GPS???? I don't know what we did before we got a GPS. We rely on it to get us just about everywhere. Get a good night's sleep, and I hope that tomorrow's drive goes easier for you.